Wednesday, March 4, 2009

An argument of artistry

To those who know me, you know I love to embrace change. Whether that means economic and social change in our political systems, change in daily scenery or in this particular case a change in artistry—the concept has always been personally enduring. I’ve come to the realization that, when it comes to music, people are adamant on conforming to specific genre styles and are often unable to broaden their horizons when it comes to trying new sounds. I suppose that it’s a result of social conventionality, hell I’ve found myself turning down the volume on the IPod when jamming to Flo Rida’s new track. Nonetheless it’s important to embrace music as a source of artistry rather than a division of status and/or style. That being said, I want to discuss the concept of artists breaking out of their musical environments or their “shells”.

Firstly, I’ve been both privileged to hear and yet constantly reminded of Kanye West’s brilliance. To classic hip hop fans his street cred is lacking and to fans of a ‘musically superior genre’ (mostly self-righteous indie-fans) his popularity denotes inferiority. I for one have consistently maintained that Mr. West is possibly one of the most brilliant artists alive. And when I use the term ARTIST I use it in a specific manner. Kanye has consistently proved his ability to work against the grain, combining terrific beats, insightful lyrics, thought provoking albums and inspiring artwork. His introductory ‘College Dropout’ reinstituted the concept of an album, by combining skits, singles and flow into one work of art, and wrapping it in a beautiful image of a troubled mascot bear rather than an overindulgence of bling. With his new album, 808’s and Heartbreak, devoted fans have negatively labelled him because of the simple fact that he “shouldn’t sing, especially not with a voice box.” Isn’t Kanye the one who evoked change in the industry in the first place? If people gave the album a chance and recognized it as art rather than a rapper trying to sing maybe it’d get more recognition? Kanye truly embraces the value of artistry by combining his talents and ability to explore new opportunities. The same stagnant approach will only land up drawing comparisons to previous efforts, see The Killers’ Day & Age, Gnarls Barkley’s The Odd Couple or Joshua Radin’s Simple Times.


That being said, I hope that people will begin to at least use a veil of ignorance and an open mind when listening to Wayne’s new stuff. Don’t get me wrong, Weezy as a rock artist does not seem natural, especially since not even 5 years ago his credibility was almost 0. Nevertheless, Tha Carter III was arguably the best album of 2008 and taking a page out of Kanye’s book, Wayne is expanding his horizon by working with Fall Out Boy, Kevin Rudolf and Kid Rock instead of his regular posse (please no more Birdman!). I don’t claim to be an expert in hip hop or any music for that matter, but I recognize creativity and the idea of musicians as artists. Let’s give these guys a chance to break out of their shell or we’ll be forced to endure Lady Gaga, 50 Cent and Soulja Boy for the rest of our lives.

I leave you with a picture that exudes style, creativity and a clear image of what Heartbreak truly is. Additionally, here is a link of Wayne's new rock single--Prom Queen.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUQsyLP2aYU

 

Cheers

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your views on Kanye, his style is unconventional, and fresh. Although I prefer his earlier stuff, a little deviation from the norm is a healthy break. As for Lil Wayne, to put it lightly, he's a plague to the music of hip hip, and a detriment to the music scene in general. On the flip side, however I can admire his work ethic, and continuing dedication to put out new material for his fans. Although Kanye can successfully transition between different styles, I don't think the same could be said for Wayne. The expression, "Jack of all trades, master of none." accurately describes Wayne, and I don't think he will win any new fans with his newly acquired liking to rock.

    - A

    ReplyDelete